Ratatouille

What dish is cheap, healthy, delicious and has a Pixar movie named after it? You guessed it. First off, if you've never seen this movie, I highly recommend it. I especially loved it because it's right up my ally of experimental cooking, and of course it's adorable.

But anyway, back to the food. Ratatouille is a great vegetarian dish. With such a fancy name I assumed it would be complicated to make, but it was actually super easy. I based my recipe off this one.


1 medium zucchini, cubed
1 medium summer squash, cubed
1 onion, sliced
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 tsp of minced garlic
1 tomato, chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil (fresh basil would be optimal, in that case use about 1/4 cup)
2 tbsp oil
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese
(This recipe calls for eggplant but I personally am not a huge fan so I left it out.)

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the zucchini and squash for 5 minutes. Then add the onion, pepper, and garlic and cook for a few minutes, adding more oil if needed. Stir in tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt and pepper and reduce the heat to low. Here the recipe says to cook on low for an hour, but I was too hungry to wait that long. I cooked it for about 20 minutes. I think it would have been more flavorful if I had waited longer, but it still came out delicious. It's up to how much time you have and how badly you want to eat your ratatouille. Top with Parmesan cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment