Egg in a Tomato

I found this recipe from a fellow UMass student, who found it from another blog, and this blog has mouthwatering pictures of what I did not capture very well.
I tried this recipe on a whim because I needed something light to eat before dance class. It ended up being way tastier than I expected. Like, I-kind-of-want-to-eat-this-every-day good. 

1 medium-large tomato
1 egg
a little bit of shredded cheese to top (I used Monterrey jack because that's all I have, but it would be excellent with cheddar)
few sprigs of fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. (I did 450 because I was in a rush.) Hollow out the innards of the tomato. Crack an egg in the tomato, being careful not to break the yolk. Put the tomato on a baking pan or ramekin and cook for about 25 minutes, checking regularly with a fork to be sure that the egg whites solidify but being careful not to overcook your yolk. (You want it to still be runny when you go to eat it, a mistake I made by confusing the juices from the tomato with uncooked egg white.) Immediately after you take it out of the oven, sprinkle the cheese on top of the egg and top with fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste.

Try this recipe, now! You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thanks for coming across my recipe & giving it a try. Glad you enjoyed the technique! I'm a real sucker for eggs in all their glorious forms.

    ReplyDelete