A Riddle

What's quick and easy and is made with things a college student would have in their fridge?

...Give up? It's the recipe you are going to send me.

This week has been ridiculous, and it's only Wednesday. I'm juggling the most commitments I've ever had, between classes, lots of work, writing for the paper and ballet classes I don't have a lot of extra time on my hands. I hate that I can only blog about once a week now. It's hard to be motivated when you get home from being out for class/work for 12 hours and all you want to do is sleep. It's also tough when I find great recipes but have none of the ingredients to make it. I'm not made of money. My roommate and I grocery shop about once every other week, and we usually just end up buying Gushers and Lunchables. Our Stop N' Shop receipts are proof that our stress has caused severe regression.

This is where you come in. I'm sure you have those days too. What do you make on those lazy days that is still relatively nutritious and doesn't come from your freezer or a drive-thru window??

In case you were under a misconception, this blog is in no way all my own recipes. I'd say probably 90% are not mine. I get them from other blogs, the Food Network, friends and family. So please, I KNOW there's some recipe floating around in that brain of yours. I'm in need of inspiration!

4 comments:

  1. I love tacos. You can make soft tacos using refried beans (roughly $1 per can), corn tortillas (ALWAYS available at Stop & Shop, 3 for $5) and whatever cheap shredded cheese you can find. Stop $ Shop brand cheese tends to hover around $2.50. I just get one of each, assemble a taco, and microwave it for about 40 seconds.

    My roommate makes really big pigs in a blanket sometimes, using full-sized hot dogs. She cuts a slit in the hot dog lengthwise and stuffs it with cheese, wraps it in a crescent roll and bakes it until the crescent roll is done.

    Obviously if you live in an apartment/have easy access to a kitchen you have more options. Most of what I make is limited to the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie, that's a good point about being in a dorm with only a microwave, I'd love to get more of those type of recipes. When I lived in a dorm I just pretty much lived off chips though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried the Trader Joe's in Hadley? TJ's carry some very inexpensive fruits, veggies, freezer food, canned goods, drinkables. I recommend their mushroom risotto, pesto gnocchi, frozen desserts, breads, TJ brand wine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried Trader Joe's. I've heard that the food there is more expensive than regular grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete