Cole Slaw

I personally can't have a summer without cole slaw. I had never made it before until recently. Homemade cole slaw is so much better because you can make it just how you like it. Everyone has their own style of cole slaw that they enjoy. I love my cole slaw when it's juicy and flavorful but not too strong. This is my recipe that I created by taking parts of a bunch of different recipes and putting it together.


1/2 head of cabbage, shredded (this will make PLENTY)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 cup mayo (you can adjust this depending on how thick you want it)
1 tbsp vinegar (I used white vinegar because this is all I had, but I bet it would be great with apple cider vinegar)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 lemon, juiced (you can use a splash of lemon juice if you don't have real lemon)

Mix the mayo, vinegar, sugar, mustard and lemon juice together in a bowl. Toss the mixture with the cabbage, carrot and onion. Let sit for 1/2 hr-1 hr in room temperature so that the cabbage has time to wilt. Refrigerate.

Best way to shred the cabbage so it's nice and fine like in restaurants? Chopping with a knife does not work as well. Most sites suggest a mandoline, but if you don't have that on hand you can use the biggest size of your cheese grater. 

No comments:

Post a Comment