Smashed Potatoes, Chipotle Style

The night before Thanksgiving, and all through the house, was people staying up way too late to finish cooking. This year I was one of those people. My mom requested that I bring some non-traditional side dishes to the table this time, so I did what I do best and looked all over the internet for inspiration. I gave her a list and she chose her favorites.

This one is a new twist on sweet potatoes. It may not go over well for the very young and very old, but for those who like a little spice in their dinner, it's a great re-invention of an old tradition.

I found this on the Food Network website, the original recipe here. I used 5 sweet potatoes, making enough for about 10 people to have as a side.


5 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 tbsp butter
2 whole chili peppers in adobo sauce
2 tsp adobo sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar

Put the sweet potatoes in a steamer basket inside of a big saucepan, with about an inch of water at the bottom   at medium-low. Put a cover on the pan and let steam for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. In a big bowl, combine the potatoes and butter and mash. In a separate bowl, use the back of a spoon to crush the peppers into a paste. Mix in all the rest of the ingredients until combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment